Ben works mainly with two types of clients: (i) accumulators – people that are 35–55 and building wealth, and (ii) SMSF trustees that want a sounding board and a bit of guidance.
Ben will be part of a panel talking about starting up as an independent adviser, at the IFAAA Symposium on 30 October 2015 in Melbourne. It will be a small group of advisers which means you are not going to get lost in a sea of people or wooed by over-enthusiastic BDMs with company credit cards.
If you’re interested in learning more about the event, head on over to IFAAA.com.au and check it out. You don’t have to be a member to attend.
Listen and learn
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why Ben decided to become a true independent adviser, rather than being aligned with an institution, or charging in any way other than pure fee for advice
- What strategies Ben used to attract 60 clients in just two years, from scratch
- How he dealt with taking on non-ideal clients, while he was in start-up phase
- The hardest things about starting up and what his challenges are now
People on this episode
Mentioned on this episode
- Smythe Financial Management
- Diana Gill
- Australian Financial Review
- Seeking Certainty by Jim Stackpool
- LinkedIn - Ben Smythe
- Twitter - SmytheFM
- IFAAA National Symposium 2015