Neil trained as an accountant but quickly moved into financial planning. And after not long working for someone else, decided to go out on his own.
He bought a book of clients and after about a year, handed it back. He then joined up with Matt Ross to build Roskow Independent Advisory - one of the few independent advice practices in Australia.
Neil will be part of a panel talking about starting up as an independent financial adviser, at the IFAAA Symposium on 30 October in Melbourne. It’s a super opportunity to get face to face with advisers that have already trodden the path, so you can learn what worked and what didn’t.
If you’re interested in learning more about the event, head on over to IFAAA.com.au and check it out. You don’t have to be a member to attend.
Listen and learn
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why Neil started an independent financial planning business after initially buying a small book of clients and subsequently handing it back
- Why he decided to partner up with another adviser, and the benefits of working with someone that shares the same values and goals for the business
- How Neil attracted those all important first clients
- What challenges and mistakes he made along the way
- The process for getting your own financial services license (and it's probably not as hard as you think)
People on this episode
Mentioned on this episode
- Roskow Independent Advisory
- Matthew Ross
- Seven Stages of Money Maturity by George Kinder
- Adviser Logic
- Being Independent
- YouTube - Roskow
- LinkedIn - Neil Salkow
- IFAAA National Symposium 2015